Our business support plan was developed in consultation with our five local Chamber of Commerce. Our priority is to ensure the local business community feels supported, is well informed and knows where and how to access advice, financial support and practical resources.
Business support plan
$2.0 million support in 2020/21 ($2.7 million in total since COVID-19 pandemic emerged) provided to business via temporary waiving of the fees:
- Outdoor dining fees, up to 31 Dec 2021
- Footpath merchandising fees, up to 31 Dec 2021
- Fire Safety annual fees, up to 31 March 2021
- Environmental Health Inspection (annual fees and first inspection fees), up to 31 March 2021
- Enforcement actions focused on imminent risks to public or environmental safety, allowing more flexible operations to local businesses
- Local Business Support webpage and Beaches Biz News (a monthly business newsletter you can sign up to here)
- Helping businesses build digital and social media capacity
- Rates and Charges Hardship Policy for eligible small business ratepayers.
Council tenant and licensee support package
Targeted support of up to $1.3 million ($2.2 million in total since COVID-19 pandemic emerged) for Council tenants and sportsfield and facilities licensees experiencing financial hardship as a result of the Government mandated closures including:
- Annual rentals or fees waived, discounted or deferred for up to six months (backdated to commence at 1 April)
- Extension of leases/licenses by six months, where agreements due to expire within 18 months.
Ratepayer subsidies and fee increase delays
$4.4 million in ratepayer subsidies, equivalent to 50% of increases in rates and waste charges in 2020/21 along with holding off on other fee increases for three months until 1 October 2020.
To help businesses comply with 1.5 metre social distancing, Council is allowing businesses that can meet appropriate conditions to display merchandise on the footpath.
- Fee waiver on footpath merchandise on new applications up to 31 Dec 2021.
- Conditions apply and businesses are required to register.
Outdoor dining areas
- Due to current restrictions, outdoor dining fees are being suspended up to 31 Dec 2021.
- Affected business will not receive invoices from Council during this period.