The Northern Beaches have some of the world’s most beautiful beaches and picturesque bushlands ideal for filming and photography.

Think lighthouses, rock platforms, rolling dunes, native bush and bomboras. From Palm Beach’s perfect white, endless sand which featured in Home and Away, to Manly's vibrant town centre, to Duffy’s Forests unspoilt native forest.  The Northern Beaches has something to offer everyone. 

Other popular film and photographic locations include Deep Creek Reserve, Bayview, Shelly Beach, Little Manly Point and Little Manly Beach, Forty Baskets Beach

Approval for filming

Anyone wishing to film must obtain approval from Council to film on any of Council's roads or land. Please complete a filming application with as many details and supporting documentation as possible and send the booking form to us.

Approval from Council for filming on privately owned land is not normally required. However, we recommend you contact us if you feel the filming may impact on the street or neighbours.

News crews do not need approval to film on Council land.

How to make an application

On receipt of the application form, we'll let you know your application has been received. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to know the status of your approval. Every effort will be made to send the approval documentation to you as soon as possible, ensure your application is submitted in amble time to process.

Once the application is approved you will be sent a rental contract, conditions of use and an invoice.

Fees and charges

Refer to the Parks and Recreation section of the current fees and charges . Please note that late applications may incur an additional processing fee.

Things to consider when filming on the Northern Beaches


If you are filming in one of our metered car parks, please contact us to pre-arrange parking permits. These will be charged at the relevant adopted fees and charges. Adherence to all on street parking time limits and restrictions is expected throughout the shoot.

Road closures or stopping traffic

Any requests to close roads or car parks or effect traffic must be accompanied by a Traffic Control Plan. This plan must be prepared by a Roads and Maritime Services authorised person. Filming on state or regional roads must be approved by the Transport Management Centre before you seek Council approval.

Use of drones

Flying drones is becoming more popular for recreation and business, however did you know that there are rules and regulations that you need to abide by?

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is the governing body for drone and model aircraft use in Australia. If you are looking to fly a drone you should be familiar with and abide by the CASA - Civil Aviation Safety Regulations Part 101

Complaints surrounding the use of drones in your area or on Council Land, can be reported to CASA.

Events which involve the use of drones on Council owned or managed land will require a booking. Bookings can be made via the Reserves Bookings team on 8495 5009 or email