Villa with pool

Do I require development consent? 

Council supports well designed and suitable developments and not all projects require development consent. 

To help you decide if you need to submit a Development Application or can build using other avenues you need to consider the planning rules for where you live and what you want to build there. 

We have developed a Simple Guide for Residential Developments to help you understand the differences between Development Applications, Complying Development Certificates and Exempt Development and the application process. 

We have also developed a Guide to Small Business and the Planning System specifically for business owners to help you understand whether you need a Development Application, a Complying Development Certificate or if what you want to do is Exempt Development. This includes information on home-based business and food-based businesses. A streamlined Development Application Lodgement Requirements for Small Business form has also been developed to include only those plans and documents necessary, or likely for small businesses.

Exempt Development

Exempt Development (no approval required) has very minimal environmental impact and providing your building project meets specific development standards, approval from Council may not be needed.

Some common examples of exempt development are:

  • Awnings and other shade structures
  • Carports
  • Decks, verandahs, terraces, balconies or pergolas
  • Solar PV systems
  • Garden sheds
  • Fences and gates
  • Home business
  • Privacy screens
  • Air conditioning units
  • Earthworks (excavation, fill or retaining walls)

Refer to the NSW Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure website in regards to Exempt and Complying development for remedial works.

V​​​​isit the NSW Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure website for further information or contact's Council's Planning Enquiry Officer on 1300 434 434 for advice.

Complying Development

Complying Development is a combined planning and construction approval for straightforward development that can be determined through a fast-track assessment by a council or an accredited certifier.  Providing your application meets specific development standards, approval (known as a Complying Development Certificate or CDC) can be granted, without the need for a full Development Application.

Types of complying development may include:

  • Internal alterations to a house
  • Granny flats
  • A new single or two storey dwelling
  • Swimming pool
  • Carports, garages and driveways
  • Demolition

Visit the NSW Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure website to see if your project complies with the development requirements.  You can also visit the NSW Planning Portal, which will provide specific property details.

Private Certifiers may use our online tools to lodge a determined complying development certificate online.

Complying Development Certificate

Complying Development Certificates are mandated to be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal. Refer to Councils Lodge your application(Opens in a new window)(Opens in a new window)(Opens in a new window)(Opens in a new window)(Opens in a new window) page for instructions to successfully lodge an application.

Prior to lodging your CDC application, please refer to the steps below to ensure you lodge an assessment ready application:

  • Read Council's Complying Development Certificate Requirements below to determine what you reports and documentation may be applicable for your application
  • Talk to your builder or consultant about complying with all your legal obligations
  • Obtain a fee quote using our Fee Estimator to submit with your application.

Refer to the Submit a Complying Development Certificate guide for instructions on lodging your application


  • Signed owners consent
  • Boundary Identification Survey (if applicable, with the exception of change of use or internal alterations only)
  • Complying Development Certificate Plans (a full set of architectural plans complying with the development standards of the SEPP (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.
  • Structural Plans and details (designed a suitably qualified structural engineer)
  • Stormwater plans (if applicable)
  • Geotechnical Assessment (if applicable)
  • Building specifications
  • Bushfire assessment report (if applicable)
  • BASIX certificate -
  • Sydney Water building plan approval -
  • Other plans or documents may be applicable depending on the proposal and site

Development Applications

If your project is not considered exempt or able to be built using complying development standards, search Council's planning rules for your property to see if it is permitted with development consent. If this is the case you will need to lodge a Development Application.

View our Development Applications page for Pre-Lodgement meeting information, steps to lodge your application and to understand the Development Assessment process.