IMPORTANT: We are currently receiving an extremely high volume of Development Applications and are experiencing delays. We apologise for any inconvenience. Please note the period between 20 December and 10 January 2021 (inclusive) is excluded from the calculation of the period of public exhibition for Development Applications.
All homeowners on the Northern Beaches are now required to lodge their Development Applications via the NSW Planning Portal.
This follows a mandate by the NSW Government for 42 Councils in metropolitan Sydney to use the e-planning Portal. It is recommended that applicants take note of the steps below to prevent any delays in the processing of Development Applications.
Steps to take prior to lodgement
Prior to lodging your application, please refer to the steps below to ensure you lodge an assessment ready application:
- Read Council's Development Application Lodgement Requirements in conjunction with our checklist to determine what you reports and documentation may be applicable for your application.
- Review our Planning Controls and talk to your builder or consultant about complying with all your legal obligations.
- Consider attending a Pre-Lodgement Meeting to discuss site specifics, complex or large-scale development proposals with our team.
- Complete a Cost Summary Report form as outlined in our Lodgement Requirements.
- Obtain a fee quote using our Fee Estimator to submit with your application.
How to lodge your application on the NSW Planning Portal
We've outlined some steps to assist you in lodging your application through the NSW Planning Portal. All Development Applications including Modification or Review of Determination applications are to be lodged through the Planning Portal. Should you encounter any difficulties, refer to our advice under the Support for our Applicants section below.
Step 1 - Register or Login
Step 2 - Enter your specific development proposal and application details
Enter the specific application details in the portal using the Submit a Development Application guide. Note, Council no longer have a Development Application Form, the Planning Portal automatically creates a Pre-DA form based on the information provided by the Applicant at lodgement.
To prevent unnecessary delays with the processing of your Development Application, ensure the following is uploaded in support of your application, in line with Council's document naming formats, as outlined on page two of our Lodgement Requirements.
- Statement of Environmental Effects or Statement of Modification (only applicable for Modification Applications)
- A completed Cost Summary Report Form (where the estimated cost of works is over $100k)
- Boundary Identification Survey (applicable for the majority of applications, with the exception of change of use or internal alterations only)
- Plans - Masterset (a full set of all plans, with the exception of landscape and stormwater plans)
- Payment - Complete and upload a Credit Card Payment Form at the time of lodgement. Refer to Step 3 for fee information.
Step 3 - Fee Estimator and Payment
Use our fee estimator for Development Applications to determine the fees applicable for your application and the amount to be included on the Credit Card Payment form.
Step 4 - Completeness Check
Once you have submitted the application through the Portal, Council will review the documentation for completeness within two business days.
Based on the information submitted, Council will make a decision to accept the application, request additional information or reject the application.
If Council need additional information, you will receive an email from the Planning Portal outlining exactly what information is required to be submitted for Council to proceed to formally accepting your application.
Note, it is preferable for applicants to upload all required additional information at the same time.
Contact our Planning Enquiry Officer on 1300 434 434 if you have queries about the additional information request.
Step 5 - Track the progress of your application
To track the progress of your application, refer to Council's Application Search. The Planner assessing your application will communicate with the Applicant throughout the assessment process.
Support available for our Applicants
Should you encounter difficulties with logging in to the planning portal or registering your planning portal account, refer to the NSW Department of Planning, Industry & Environment's FAQ web page, call Service NSW on 1300 305 695 or email email@example.com.
Phone us on 1300 434 434 and speak to a:
Planning Enquiry Officer - To receive advice on specific documents required to lodge your application (e.g. Reports, Plans based on site constraints) and to discuss queries about additional information requested by Council.
Business Systems & Administration Team - If you have lodged your application and wish to enquire as to a status update or which Planner the application has been allocated to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our KPI to review your application and provide you with a response is two business days, however this may vary for more complex applications.
If you have entered your address in the search box and it is not appearing, select the tick box next to 'Address did not display?' and re-type your address then select next and it should appear.
Council's library services offer free computer services for the community. We have libraries located in Dee Why, Forestville, Glen Street, Manly, Mona Vale and Warringah Mall. Find more information on Council's library services and opening hours here.