Please note, site inspections for Development Applications are currently being conducted from outside the property. Assessment officers will be in touch before visiting your property. Any inspections that require indoor assessment will be postponed until restrictions ease. This may result in unavoidable delays to final assessment for some applicants. We will prioritise these site visits as soon as it is safe to do so.
To ensure the timely processing and determination of your Development Application, it is essential that all applicants take note of the following critical steps in the preparation and lodgement process.
Steps to take prior to lodgement
Review of the Planning Controls and General Planning Enquiries - Understanding the planning controls that apply to your property, the type of development you can undertake and how to address any non-compliances, is fundamental in determining the likelihood of an approval. You can obtain the planning controls that apply to your property on our website and discuss any implications which arise with one of our Planning Officers or by consulting with your architect, building consultant or town planner.
Consider one of Council's Pre-Lodgement services to discuss specific planing, environmental or design issues and find out how to address any non-compliances with the planning controls.
- Read Council's Development Application Lodgement Requirements (Form ID: 2060). The Lodgement Requirements are the primary tool for Council staff to determine whether your application is "Assessment Ready" and can be accepted into the system to proceed to notification, referral, assessment and ultimately determination.
How to lodge your application on the NSW Planning Portal
To assist you in lodging your Development Application, Modification or Review of Determination application via the NSW Planning Portal, we have provided some simply steps to guide you through the process. Should you encounter any difficulties, please refer to the advice under the Support for our Applicants section below.
Step 1 - Register or Login
Step 2 - Enter your development proposal and application details
Enter the application details in the portal using the Submit a Development Application guide. Please note, Council no longer have a Development Application Form, the Planning Portal automatically creates a form called a 'Pre-DA form' based on the information provided by the applicant at lodgement.
To prevent unnecessary delays with the handling and acceptance of your DA, ensure the following is uploaded to the Planning Portal in as per Council's document naming formats, outlined on page two of our Lodgement Requirements (Form ID: 2060).
- Statement of Environmental Effects (or Statement of Modification) - Applicable for the majority of Development Applications, Modifications or Review of Determinations.
- Cost Summary Report Form (Form ID: 2080) - Required for all Development Applications over $100,000 up to $1,000,0000.
- Quantity Surveyors Report - Required for all Development Applications over $1,000,000.
- Boundary Identification Survey - Applicable for the majority of applications, with the exception of change of use of premises, internal alterations or a strata subdivision.
- Architectural Plans - a "Masterset", which is a full set of all architectural plans uploaded as one document in the portal under 'Architectural Plans'. Please note, landscape and stormwater plans must be uploaded separately.
- Technical Reports - For example, Geotech, Bushfire, Biodiversity, Heritage, SEPP 65/Apartment Design Guide, Traffic, BCA, BASIX, Waste Management, Arborist and Flooding, where applicable to your development proposal and/or site.
- Payment of application fees - Council now offer online payments for Development Applications and will issue an invoice once your application is ready for acceptance. DO NOT upload payment details to the Planning Portal.
Step 3 - Completeness Check
Once you have submitted your application via the Planning Portal, Council will review the documentation for completeness. Based on the information submitted, Council will make a decision to:
- ACCEPT the application,
- REQUEST ADDITIONAL INFORMATION with a list of matters for you to address or
- RETURN the application.
Returned applications & how to relodge
For applications which have been returned due to insufficient information, Council will provide a list of missing documentation so applicants know what to upload next time. The Planning Portal now provides the option to Create a new Copy of your DA allowing applicants to relodge a new application (including the additional documentation) with ease.
How to lodge additional information
For applications where it is identified that a relatively minor item of additional information is required, Council will not return the application and instead request applicants provide the additional information through the Portal, specifying the timeframe for the additional information. Council's request will clearly outline what information is required to be submitted to make the application complete and allow it to be accepted and processed.
Use this guide for instructions on how to lodge additional information in the Portal. Note, it is preferable for applicants to upload all required additional information at the same time.
Contact our Planning Officer on 1300 434 434 if you have technical queries about the additional information we've requested.
Step 4 - Fee Estimator, portal lodgement fee and payment
Use our fee estimator for Development Applications to determine the fees applicable for your application.
Development Application fees - Council are now live with online payments for DAs. Once we have reviewed your application for completeness and are satisfied that it is ready to proceed to formal acceptance and assessment, we will email the Applicant an Invoice with a link to pay online. Online payments are preferred, however if you would like to pay in person please visit any of Council's customer service centres.
Portal lodgement fees - A fee of $40 is applicable for the lodgement of modification of consent applications and a $5 fee is applicable for Review of Determination applications. The State Government have amended the Environmental Planning & Assessment Regulation (2000) to introduce the new portal lodgement fees from 1 July 2021, to support the ongoing maintenance of the Planning Portal. Note, this fee is payable in addition to Council's application fees, only for Modifications and Reviews.
Step 5 - Track the progress of your application
To track the progress of your application, refer to Council's Application Search. The Planner assessing the DA will communicate with the applicant throughout the assessment process.
Support available for our applicants
Should you encounter difficulties with logging in to the planning portal or registering your planning portal account, refer to the NSW Department of Planning, Industry & Environment's FAQ web page, call Service NSW on 1300 305 695 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone us on 1300 434 434 and speak to a:
Planning Officer in the Development Advisory Services Team - To obtain advice on specific documents required to lodge your application (e.g. Technical reports and architectural plans) and to discuss any queries about additional information requested by Council, or
Administration officer in the Business Systems & Administration Team - To discuss fees applicable/find out how to pay, to find out which Planner the application has been allocated to or have general Planning Portal queries.
- View Sharing Fact Sheet - Read up on how Council assesses views from private property, public spaces and places
Frequently Asked Questions
Our KPI to review your application and provide you with a response is two business days, however this may vary for more complex applications.
If you have entered your address in the search box and it is not appearing, select the tick box next to 'Address did not display?' and re-type your address then select next and it should appear.
Council's library services offer free computer services for the community. We have libraries located in Dee Why, Forestville, Glen Street, Manly, Mona Vale and Warringah Mall. Find more information on Council's library services and opening hours here.