It’s easy to separate recycling and keep it out of landfill when you know exactly what waste should go into each of your colour-coded bins.

All waste and recyclables must be placed in these colour-coded bins.  Extra bagged or bundled waste, vegetation, recyclables or paper and cardboard left beside bins will not be collected.

Remember it is always a better option for your items to be used by someone else. Recycling still uses precious resources. Here's some more info to help:


Red bin

For general household garbage we can’t recycle, including wax-coated cardboard or soiled paper, plastic bags, cling wrap, polystyrene and ceramics.

Bag lightweight waste like sawdust, dust or ash or seal it in a container so it can’t blow around.

No building materials, liquids or hazardous waste.

Mixed container recycling

Yellow bin

All plastic, metal and carton containers, glass bottles and jars from the kitchen, bathroom and laundry, plastic meat trays, Tetra Paks, liquid board containers and fruit punnets, even without recycling symbols. Remove the lids from your glass, metal and plastic jars and bottles and put the lid separately into the yellow bin. For more room in your yellow bin, remove the lid from plastic liquid containers, squash the container then put the lid back so that the container remains squashed.

Aluminium foil can be added if rolled into a ball the size of a tennis ball to ensure it is recovered for recycling.

No plastic bags, cling wrap, polystyrene, ceramics, white glass (like Malibu bottles), flat glass, furniture or toys. 

Clean paper and cardboard recycling

Blue bin

For clean paper and cardboard only, including glossy magazines and shredded paper. Please flatten boxes if you can.

Clean parts only of pizza boxes (no oil or food) can be recycled. No wax-coated cardboard or soiled cardboard and paper. Put these in your red garbage bin.


    Lime green bin

    For garden waste like leaves, branches less than 75mm thick, dead flowers, grass cuttings and other vegetation that can be mulched. No tree stumps, logs, trunks, soil, bricks, plant pots, tiles, stones or concrete. Christmas trees that have been chopped enough to be contained in the bin with the lid closed flat are accepted.

    Excess Vegetation?

    Residents can drop off excess vegetation generated at home at Kimbriki. Northern Beaches Council will pay Kimbriki the advertised fee for this service under the following restrictions:

    • Vehicles are limited to cars, station wagons, utes, family vans or trailers with up to 300kg of vegetation.
    • Proof of residency, ie Northern Beaches Council sticker, driver's licence or rates notice is required.
    • No trucks or other vehicles are allowed. However arrangements can be put in place to register a trade vehicle for a resident's own occasional use. Please see Kimbriki reception for details.
    • Vehicles are entitled to one vegetation drop-off on any given day. If your load is over 300kg you must pay the full amount not just the portion you are over. We understand you don't weigh your vegetation when loading so some leeway will be given for loads close to 300kg. The NSW EPA requires that all waste entering Kimbriki must be accurately accounted for. Dividing weighbridge transactions once completed adds complexity, time and cost and consequently is prohibitive and cannot be accommodated.