It’s easy to separate recycling and keep it out of landfill when you know exactly what waste should go into each of your colour-coded bins.
All waste and recyclables must be placed in these colour-coded bins. Extra bagged or bundled waste, vegetation, recyclables or paper and cardboard left beside bins will not be collected.
Yellow is for Mixed Container Recycling
All plastic, metal and carton containers, glass bottles and jars from the kitchen, bathroom and laundry, including small plastic plant pots, plastic meat trays, Tetra Paks, liquid board containers and fruit punnets, even without recycling symbols. No plastic bags, cling wrap, polystyrene, ceramics, white glass (like Malibu bottles), flat glass or furniture or toys.
Blue is for Clean Paper and Cardboard
For clean paper and cardboard only, including glossy magazines and shredded paper. Please flatten boxes and crumpled paper if you can. No food, wax-coated cardboard or soiled paper. For these, please use your red or dark green garbage bin.
Lime Green is for Vegetation
For garden waste like leaves, branches less than 75mm thick, dead flowers, grass cuttings and other vegetation that can be mulched. No tree stumps, logs, trunks, soil, bricks, plant pots, tiles, stones or concrete.
Residents can drop off excess vegetation generated at home at Kimbriki. Northern Beaches Council will pay Kimbriki the advertised fee for this service under the following restrictions:
- Vehicles are limited to cars, station wagons, utes, family vans or trailers with up to 300kg of vegetation.
- Proof of residency, ie Northern Beaches Council sticker, driver's licence or rates notice is required.
- No trucks or other vehicles are allowed. However arrangements can be put in place to register a trade vehicle for a resident's own occasional use. Please see Kimbriki reception for details.
- Vehicles are entitled to one vegetation drop-off on any given day. If your load is over 300kg you must pay the full amount not just the portion you are over. We understand you don't weigh your vegetation when loading so some leeway will be given for loads close to 300kg. The NSW EPA requires that all waste entering Kimbriki must be accurately accounted for. Dividing weighbridge transactions once completed adds complexity, time and cost and consequently is prohibitive and cannot be accommodated.
Red is for Garbage
For general household garbage we can’t recycle, including wax-coated cardboard or soiled paper, plastic bags, cling wrap, polystyrene and ceramics. Bag lightweight waste like sawdust, dust or ash or seal it in a container so it can’t blow around. No building materials, liquids or hazardous waste.
A chip is on the bin so we know how many collections we are making across the area, whether any properties have missed their collections and also ensure bin replacements. With better information, we can provide a better service and manage our costs. The chip doesn't monitor the waste content of the bin and there is no camera in the chip.
The standard service is designed to meet the needs of most residents. If you require additional capacity you can customise your service to create your own bespoke waste service and manage your waste responsibly.
Costs for additional services are:
Free Recycling Posters and Stickers
To help educate about separating waste and recycling, we provide free resources for unit blocks and households.
Pick up from Customer Service
Residents may collect weatherproof posters for unit blocks and bin stickers for both unit blocks and households from Council's Customer Service Centres.
Download and Print
Alternatively you may wish to download and print your own poster if your bin bay is under shelter. Don't forget to set your printer page size before printing.
- Red Lid (best printed on A4)
- Blue Lid (best printed on A4)
- Yellow Lid (best printed on A4)
- Green Lid (best printed on A4)
- All colours on one poster (best printed on A3 and above)
Bin Extension Handle
A bin extension handle is available to make it easier to pull up a steep driveway or assist those with back issues.