Join the War on Waste
If we all get on board with small changes to reduce our waste, we can make a big difference to how much rubbish goes needlessly into landfill.
We all need to do our bit to protect this extraordinary place we call home and reduce the amount of waste heading to landfill.
- Use our A-Z guide to reuse and recycling to see where you can reuse or recycle numerous items
- Use our Reuse/Recycling map to see where you can take items locally for free, https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/services/rubbish-and-recycling/waste-reduction/northern-beaches-reuse-and-recycling-map
- Check out our video: Be the best version of you and avoid the red bin when you can
What is Council doing?
- Committed to diverting 85 percent of waste from landfill by 2040. Find out more in our Environment and Climate Change Strategy 2040
- Investigating ways to recover more resources from food waste, soft plastics and our bulky goods collections. For example, we are currently undertaking a market assessment to consider what collection and processing solutions of soft plastics may be suitable for the Northern Beaches into the future, to enhance the Northern Beaches circular economy.
- Holding textile collection events so the community are able to get rid of their unwanted fabrics and clothing. Textiles make almost 5% of our red bin waste.
- Supporting Worn Up in a trial period of recycling school uniforms in poor and at ‘end of life’ condition.
Attend a workshop
Learn and find ways to reuse, repair and recycle used items. Attend one of our workshops and help save the planet. Choose from many of the activities listed below, such as fermenting foods, keeping backyard chickens or make money selling unwanted stuff online.... check out these interesting activities to get involved and reduce your impact.