beaches parking permit 2024

Who is eligible?

Beach Parking Permits are issued to ratepayers each year with their August rates notice free of charge (2 permits per rateable property).

Ratepayers or residents of the Northern Beaches Council area can each purchase up to 2 additional permits.

Motorbike and Scooter Parking

Motorbikes and scooters are required to display a valid parking permit or parking ticket when visiting Pay and Display carparks. Permits are required to be displayed in a special secured permit holder and this is the responsibility of the rider.


Full year - $236 (valid from 1 September to 31 August)

Half year -  $119 (opens 1 March 2024)

Parking permits are non-refundable.

How to apply

Permits may be purchased by Northern Beaches Residents only. Proof of residency MUST be provided. Up to two permits may be purchased.

Online applications

Other options


Post to: Northern Beaches Council, PO Box 82, Manly NSW 1655

Delivery options

For email, online or postal applications:

  • Click and collect from Customer Service – Avalon, Dee Why, Manly or Mona Vale
  • Standard post – no charge
  • Registered post - $13.00

Permit details

Permits are valid from 1 September 2023 until 31 August 2024, and half-yearly permits are available from 1 March 2024 until 31 August 2024.

Parking permits are non-refundable.

The permit must be affixed by its own adhesive to the passenger side of the windscreen.

Park ‘n Pay meters are available for casual parking for non-permit holders.

More information

Find out more or refer to the Policy.

Designated beach permit parking areas

These are the locations of Council Pay and Display Carparks. Residents and ratepayers displaying a current Northern Beaches Council beach parking permit may park for free.

  • Avalon Beach
  • Bayview Baths
  • Bayview Park
  • Bilarong Reserve
  • Bilgola Beach
  • Birdwood Park
  • Clareville Beach
  • Clontarf
  • Collaroy Beach North
  • Collaroy Beach South
  • Curl Curl Beach (mid)
  • Dee Why Beach
  • Dee Why Headland
  • Devitt Street Beach Carpark
  • Fisherman's Beach
  • Freshwater Beach
  • Gore Street, Freshwater
  • Governor Phillip Park, Palm Beach
  • Jamieson Park
  • Long Reef Beach
  • Manly Beachfront (including North and South Steyne and Queenscliff) *four-hour limit
  • Manly Dam
  • McKillop Park Reserve
  • Narrabeen Beach (mid)
  • Middle Creek Reserve, North Narrabeen
  • Mona Vale Beach
  • Moore Road, Freshwater (beach end)
  • Narrabeen Street Beach Carpark
  • Newport Beach
  • North Avalon Beach
  • North Curl Curl
  • North Narrabeen Beach
  • North Narrabeen Rockpool
  • Ocean Road, Palm Beach
  • Pittwater Park, Palm Beach (South)
  • Robertson Street Beach Carpark, Narrabeen
  • Sandy Bay
  • Shelly Beach *four-hour limit
  • South Curl Curl Beach
  • Spit Bridge (Battle Boulevard Only)
  • Warriewood Beach
  • Whale Beach
  • Winnererremy Bay Reserve


Where parking permits aren’t valid

Beach parking permits aren’t valid at:

  • Bayview’s Rowland Reserve
  • Church Point Reserve (to the top of McCarrs Creek Road, above Holport Marina)
  • Palm Beach’s Woorak Reserve / Iluka Park boat trailer parking area
  • Pittwater Park, Palm Beach (North)

To park in these areas you need a special permit or you can purchase a metered ticket and display it on your dashboard.

Beach parking permits also don’t apply in Council operated parking stations, sign posted residential parking precincts and 1 hour metered / ticketed parking.

They also don’t apply in any National Parks, including North Head, West Head and Davidson Park. See the NSW National Parks and Wildlife website for fee-collecting National Parks. 

See the Beach Parking Permit Policy for detailed information.

Mobility parking scheme permits

Vehicles displaying a valid mobility parking permit don’t need a beach parking permit and are exempt from paying at Pay and Display meters.

This can either be a permit issued by NSW Roads & Maritime Service or a nationally recognised permit through the Australian Disability Parking Scheme (ADPS).

Replacement beach parking permits

Council will replace parking permits in special circumstances. Sometimes this incurs a fee. Simply return it to us with anything else we need. Please refer to our Policy for further information

Damaged or faulty permits

We will replace your permit for free - even if it's in pieces.

Selling your car

Peel off the permit and we will replace it for free when presented with documentation. Permit must be fully affixed by its own adhesive and is not transferable between vehicles.

Sold your car without removing the permit

We will replace your permit for a $119 replacement fee. What we need:
- Statutory Declaration
- sight a copy of your registration papers.

Lost or discarded permits

We will replace your permit for a $119 replacement fee. What we need:
- Statutory Declaration

Broken windscreen, car stolen or written-off

We will replace your permit for free (if documentation is supplied. Otherwise a replacement fee will apply). What we need:
- a police report/insurance documents, receipt for broken windscreen or RMS documentation stating car is written-off
- Statutory Declaration