• Mayor Michael Regan

Read the Mayor’s message for updates on new recreational facilities and libraries, development of the ambitious coastal walkway from Manly to Palm Beach and big picture issues that affect the Northern Beaches.

Wednesday 28 July

There is no doubt this is one of the toughest challenges we have faced.

The Premier has made it clear, the way forward is to get the jab as soon as you can. Until then, follow the health orders. Please, get familiar with the latest restrictions and case locations near you on the NSW Health website.

But there is a small silver lining with the news our Year 12s can get back to face to face teaching soon with strict COVID controls.

This Saturday will see the return of low-risk construction and trades in some areas across Sydney. Here at Council we are working with our construction teams so we will keep you updated on what sites can resume safely.

And it is welcome news to hear about the additional support the federal and state governments are delivering to our local businesses.

Finally, a big shout out to the folks in Belrose who turned out for testing in droves! It is really incredible to watch our community spring into action at times like this. Thank you for what you are doing. Whether it’s getting tested or vaccinated, staying home, self-isolating, checking in with neighbours or calling those you know are struggling – we can all play our part to get through is.

Stay safe and continue being kind! It’s great to see so much positivity.

Saturday 23 July

Saturday 17 July

Tuesday 13 July

Friday 9 July

Wednesday 7 July

I guess that while it’s not ideal, we all know that if we are going to get on top of this situation then another week of lockdown is what we must do.

Council will continue to deliver essential services, support our vulnerable community members and keep delivering the Library 2 U service through this period. And yes, we will keep the lights on at the parks and our open spaces so you can get out and exercise.

Our Customer Service Centres are continuing to take your calls and help through our online services. If you have a question for us, just reach out. For local businesses, we have a Business Support Service to help point you in the right direction.

Like the Premier said, we need to pull together, support each other and do our best, and together we will get through it.

Please check in on your family, friends and your neighbours – let’s just get this done now.

So stay home, get tested if unwell and use the Service NSW QR code check-in where ever you go. And get the jab if available to you. You know the line… we are not safe until we are all safe

Finally, I can’t stress enough how tough this lockdown is on our local businesses, so please do your bit and support them when you can. Buy a voucher, grab takeaway, buy online. Just buy local.

Stay safe (and sane) everyone.

Wednesday 7 July

Saturday 3 July

Monday 28 June

Friday 18 June

254 playgrounds, 122 sportsfields, 21 surf club buildings, 6 libraries, 41 community centres, 15 child care sites, 2 aquatic centres, 15 rockpools, a regional art gallery, a 400-seat theatre, wharves, walking tracks, cycleways, roads and footpaths…there is plenty of competition for how to spend Council’s annual budget!

 The 2021/22 Budget will see a record $125million spend on new and existing infrastructure, will pay down another $5million in debt and deliver a reduction in rates to 76% of households through harmonisation. 

 Residents often ask how we decide which park, road or footpath gets priority. There is a science behind it.

 We have over $2.9 billion worth of infrastructure assets and a 10-year plan to guide what is renewed when. Keeping our parks, playgrounds, pools and buildings well-maintained costs ratepayers less in the long term. 

Since amalgamation we have had a real focus on getting all our assets up to standard. We now have 80% rated as in excellent or good condition. So we need to keep those at the standard our community expect and focus on getting the other 20% up to scratch.   

We also have sophisticated road condition modelling system that allows us to make upgrades to roads that are in reasonable condition to prevent more costly repairs down the track.

And, of course, in some cases, while a building might be structurally sound, it’s outgrown its purpose and needs to be replaced to meet current community needs. 

In 2021/22 there are exciting new capital projects like Mona Vale and Long Reef surf clubs, Warriewood Community Centre, new playgrounds, shopping precinct upgrades and new amenities. But there is also significant expenditure on just making sure our existing community infrastructure is meeting our standards.

Thanks to everyone who had their say through the budget development process. We do consider all feedback and where infrastructure improvements can’t be addressed this year, I can assure you they are factored in our long term plans.

Have a great weekend.