The NSW Government has made local planning panels mandatory for all Councils in the Greater Sydney region and Wollongong City Council. From 1 March 2018 these Panels will be now known as Local Planning Panels (LPP). The Panels have been put in place so that the process of assessment and determination of development applications is transparent and accountable.

The Panel consists of four members being:

  • The Chair – with expertise in law,
  • Two professionals with expertise in urban design, planning or other related field, and
  • One community representative from the Local Government Area

For further information on the legislation and LPPs is outlined on the Department of Planning and Environment’s website which contains other useful fact sheets and FAQs

Agendas and Minutes

Agendas are available 7 days prior to the meeting with the minutes posted once confirmed by the Chair.


Meeting are held at Council Chambers, Civic Centre, 725 Pittwater Road, Dee Why on the first and third Wednesday of the month generally commencing at 1.00pm.

Meeting process:

  • Prior to each LPP meeting, the Panel members will undertake site inspections
  • The meeting is run in accordance with the order of items on the agenda
  • Registered speakers are invited to address the Panel
  • The public meeting is recorded and published on Councils website
  • The public meeting closes and the Panel members will deliberate in a closed session
  • The Panel will make a decision on the day of the scheduled meeting and the decisions will be published on the Council website.

Addressing the Panel

If you would like to address the LPP, you will need to register by 4.00pm on the day before the scheduled meeting by emailing and including the DA number, your name, address and if you are speaking for or against the application or by phoning 1300 434 434.

Speakers will be limited to three minutes with time extended at the discretion of the Chair. Where there are a number of objectors with a common interest, the panel may, in its absolute discretion, hear a representative of those persons.

Development Applications Determined by the Panel

1. Conflict of Interest

Development for which the applicant or land owner is:

  • the council
  • a councillor,
  • a member of council staff who is principally involved in the exercise of council's functions under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979,
  • a member of Parliament (either the Parliament of New South Wales or Parliament of the Commonwealth), or
  • a relative (within the meaning of the Local Government Act 1993) of a person referred to in bullet points 2 - 4 above.

but not development for the following purposes:

  • internal alterations and additions to any building that is not a heritage item,
  • advertising signage,
  • maintenance and restoration of a heritage item, or
  • minor building structures projecting from the building facade over public land (such as awnings, verandas, bay windows, flagpoles, pipes and services, and sun shading devices).

2. Contentious development

Development that:

  • in the case of a council having an approved submissions policy - is the subject of the number of submissions set by that policy, or
  • in any other case - is the subject of 10 or more unique submissions by way of objection.

3. Departure from development standards

  • Development that contravenes a development standard imposed by an environmental planning instrument by more than 10% or non-numerical development standards. Council may assume the Secretary's concurrence to enable staff to determine development applications for Class 1 buildings (single dwelling houses)  where the development contravenes a numerical standard by greater than 10% for height of buildings and floor space ratio.

4. Sensitive development

  • Designated development.
  • Development to which State Environmental Planning Policy No 65 – Design Quality of Residential Apartment Development applies and is 4 or more storeys in height.
  • Development involving the demolition of a heritage item.
  • Development for the purposes of new licensed premises, that will require one of the following liquor licences:
    (i) a club licence under the Registered Clubs Act 1976,
    (ii) a hotel (general bar) licence under the Liquor Act 2007, or
    (iii) an on-premises licence for public entertainment venues under the Liquor Act 2007.
  • Development for the purpose of sex services premises and restricted premises.
  • Development applications for which the developer has offered to enter into a planning agreement.

Planning Proposals Evaluated by the Panel

Planning proposals prepared after 1 June 2018 are referred to the Panel for advice, unless Council’s General Manager determines the planning proposal relates to:

  • the correction of an obvious error in a local environmental plan,
  • matters that are of consequential, transitional, machinery or other minor nature, or
  • matters that will not have any significant adverse impact on the environment or adjoining land.

A proposal is to be referred to the Local Planning Panel before it is forwarded to the Minister under Section 3.34 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

Northern Beaches Local Planning Panel Members

View the Northern Beaches Local Planning Panel Members, their expertise and their pecuniary interest