To improve public safety, alcohol-free zones (AFZs) and alcohol prohibited areas (APAs) are designed to prevent street drinking. This reduces disruptive and anti-social behaviour as well as alcohol-related crime on our streets.
Our alcohol-free zones are part of a wider City of Sydney and NSW Police program tackling irresponsible drinking.
Temporary APAs are put in place during large special events such as New Year's Eve and Australia Day. These supercede areas identified below where timed restrictions apply.
Alcohol Free Zones - 24 hours
AFZs cover many public roads, footpaths, car parks and laneways.
Police and our rangers can confiscate and dispose of alcohol in these places. Anyone refusing to co-operate, can be charged with obstruction, carrying penalties up to $2,200.
Drinking alcohol in these areas is prohibited 24 hours per day:
- Avalon Village (see map)
- Belrose/Frenchs Forest (in the vicinity of Glenrose Shopping centre)
- Church Point Wharf Area (see map)
- Collaroy CBD Pittwater Rd
- Dee Why CBD
- East Esplanade Pathway
- Fisher Rd North in the vicinity of Cromer Community Centre
- Forest Way Frenchs Forest (in the vicinity of the bus stops outside Forest Way Shopping Centre)
- Forestville (in vicinity of Forestville Shopping Centre)
- Gilbert Park, Manly
- Governor Phillip Lookout Beacon Hill
- Ivanhoe Park and Manly Oval
- Kangaroo Park, Manly
- Kelpa Place, Allambie Heights (beside Allambie Heights Public School)
- Lagoon Park, Manly
- Manly Beach and beachfront reserves Queenscliff to South Steyne
- Manly CBD - with the exception of two temporary suspensions - Market Lane, commencing 17 December 2020 until 31 January 2021, and Manly Corso between 21 December 2020 and 31 January 2021
- Manly West beaches
- Marine Parade, Manly
- Mona Vale Village (see map)
- Narrabeen (adjacent to and east of Narrabeen Lagoon)
- Narrabeen Lagoon Reserve (in the public open space between Loftus and Wellington Street)
- Newport Residential Area (see map)
- Newport Village (see map)
- North end of Lagoon Street, Narrabeen
- Pittwater Road, Brookvale (in the vicinity of the bus stops outside Warringah Mall)
- Queenscliff Headland
- Shelly Beach, Manly
- Sorlie Place Frenchs Forest (behind Forest Way Shopping Centre)
- Thomas Stephens Reserve, Church Point (Except Friday through Sunday and public holidays 3pm to 9pm)
- Walter Gors Park, Dee Why
Alcohol Prohibited Areas
APAs cover, public parks, beaches and reserves and restriction times can vary.
While AFZs are periodically reviewed, these Alcohol Prohibited Areas have no end date.
Having opened containers of alcohol in these areas is banned during these times:
- Apex Park, Mona Vale - 8pm to 8am
- Avalon Beach Reserve and Des Creagh Reserve, Avalon - 8pm to 8am
- Boondah Reserve, Warriewood - 8pm to 8am
- Dunbar Park, Avalon - 9pm to 9am
- East Esplanade Reserve - 8pm to 8am
- Kitchener Park, Mona Vale - 8pm to 8am
- North Narrabeen Reserve (excluding Pittwater Rugby Park) - 8pm to 8am
- Porters Reserve, Newport - 8pm to 8am
- Spurway Park, Newport - 8pm to 8am
- Village Park, Mona Vale - 10pm to 10am
- Warriewood Valley Sports Field, Warriewood - 8pm to 8am