The Coastal Environment Centre’s Kids on the Coast program aims to provide the highest quality education and care for children in a fun, inspiring and safe environment. Our goal is to reconnect children with nature.
- Kids on the Coast (KOTC) is for children 6 -12 attending primary school. Children must have completed their first term of school to attend KOTC.
- Programs run from 10am to 3pm and children are to be signed in and out by a parent/guardian between these times.
- Please do not bring your child to the Coastal Environment Centre earlier than 9:45am as there is no supervision available.
- Please do not collect your child after 3:15 pm as there is no supervision available.
- All Children much be picked up before 3:15pm.
- Children will only be allowed to leave the Coastal Environment Centre accompanied by the adult who signed them in unless permission for another adult to collect them has been given, in writing, on the sign in sheet.
- Prescription medication can only be administered by staff with written permission from parents/guardians and must be in the original packaging.
- Non-prescription medication is not permitted at the Coast Environment Centre. See centre staff for further details.
- Every effort is made to provide the activities exactly as advertised, however sometimes, due to circumstances out of our control, this is not possible. If an activity is cancelled we will try to provide another activity and inform families as early as possible, usually on the morning of the scheduled activity via signage at the centre.
- The Coastal Environment Centre reserves the right to remove attendees from programs immediately for repeated unruly or disruptive behaviour, bullying of other attendees or any other repeated behaviour that puts themselves or other people at risk. The guardian will be contacted and required to collect the attendee.
What to Bring
- Children need to bring a hat, lunch, snacks and a refillable drink bottle. We suggest you pack a frozen ice brick with your child’s lunch to help prevent the growth of bacteria and keep it cool until lunch time. Cooking activities may be part of the day’s program but they are not meal substitutes.
- Children should not bring any valuables (financial or sentimental) with them as they may be lost. Coast Environment Centre will not be responsible for lost valuable items.
What to Wear
- Sunhat and sunscreen. Parents – please apply sunscreen to your child before dropping them to Coast Environment Centre. Sunscreen will be available at the centre.
- Clothing should be practical and sun smart. Singlet tops are not appropriate as exposed shoulders are prone to sunburn.
- Please note that we often do messy activities so be prepared for dirty clothes at the end of the day!! The Coast Environment Centre does not provide protective shirts for arts and crafts.
- Covered shoes only – thongs, slides and most sandals are not appropriate or safe footwear at Coast Environment Centre programs. ‘Wheelie’ shoes and Crocs are also inappropriate footwear for Coast Environment Centre programs. Children who do not have appropriate footwear may not be able to participate in all activities.
- Help us be allergy friendly! Many children have allergies to various foods. Nut allergies are especially common. Please help us by not providing any nuts or nut products (including peanut butter and hazelnut spread) in your children’s lunches and snacks.
- Please ensure your child has plenty to eat and a drink bottle to fill with water.
Fees & Payments
- Please refer to the 2019/20 Fees and Charges document for costings.
- There are no cancellations, refunds, credits or transfers once your booking has been processed, unless a medical certificate is supplied for the day/s missed within one week of the missed day/s.
Drop-off and Pick-up
- Drop-off and sign-on procedures for the 10am activity begin at 9:45am.
- Please do not bring your child to the centre earlier than 9:45am as there is no supervision available.
- Please do not collect your child after 3:15pm as there is no supervision available.
- All children must be picked up before 3:15pm daily.
- Northern Beaches Council reserves the right in the cases of extreme weather to cancel sessions or modify outdoor based programs to ensure safety of attendees. In cases where Council cancels sessions customers can choose to have a full refund or re-book on an alternate day.