Attend a DA Pre-Lodgement Meeting

We encourage you to attend a pre-lodgement meeting for large-scale, complex or potentially controversial Development Applications. The service enables you to meet with relevant Council officers to discuss any issues about your proposal prior to lodging your application.

Council recommends you use Property Search to first research and obtain preliminary application requirements and planning controls for your proposal.

Whilst there is no guarantee regarding the outcome of your Development Application, a pre-lodgement meeting is beneficial as Council officers can provide early comments on your proposal and applications are lodged with all relevant documentation and specialised reports. Pre-lodgement advice provided by Council is based on information provided by the applicant. The advice is provided to the applicant in the form of a report, to assist in the preparation of the Development Application by identifying the relevant statutory requirements to be addressed and highlights potential issues that may arise during the assessment process of the application.

Please note meetings are held on Tuesdays & Thursdays in Council's Dee Why office.

Pre-Lodgement Application Form

Steps to take prior to lodging your application

There are three steps you should take before preparing a development application:

Step 1: You need to establish what is permissible on your property, what potential constraints affect your property and what controls apply to the proposed development. Go to Council’s Property Search.

Step 2: Consider all design issues taking into account the site, its context, the specific development controls that apply to the proposal, together with any hazards that affect the land and prepare concept plans.

Step 3: Talk to your neighbours and to any local community groups with these concept plans to assist them to understand your proposal. Consider their concerns and seek to compromise to achieve a satisfactory outcome.

What information do I need to submit a DA?

Begin by downloading a Development Application, Modification or Review Form

Northern Beaches Council uses the same form for the above application types, whether residential, industrial or commercial. The form includes a checklist and comprehensive lodgement requirements which detail everything you will have to supply with your application so it can be processed. This might include plans, reports, certificates and other information.  Contact one of Council's Planning Enquiry Officers if you are unsure of what to provide on 1300 434 434.

Request an application fee quote

DAs must be accompanied with the relevant fees in accordance with Council’s Management Plan and fees for development applications are calculated based on the estimated cost of works.  To request a fee quote, please complete our online Fee Quote Request and we will email you a quote for your application.

Lodging your application

The main steps in lodging a Development Application are described below. You must read the forms provided to gain a full understanding of the process. And you should talk to your builder or consultant about complying with all your legal obligations.

Once complete, your application may be lodged by mail, in person or via the NSW Planning Portal.

Call a Planning Enquiry Officer on 1300 434 434 if you are unsure of which fees apply to your application.

What happens next?

Once your application and payment has been received by Council, the following process steps are primarily undertaken depending on the complexity of your application:

  1. INITIAL REVIEW - An initial review of your application will be undertaken to make sure the application is complete. If the development does not comply and/or it lacks important information, we will give you the opportunity to withdraw the application so you can address the matters raised.
  2. NOTIFICATION/ADVERTISEMENT- Your application will be placed on public exhibition and surrounding residents will be notified in accordance with Council's Policy.
  3. REFERRAL - Referral to relevant referral bodies (internal and/or external) will occur.
  4. ASSESSMENT - The officer will conduct the assessment of the application to determine if it complies with all relevant legislation and development controls and will consider any submissions received.
  5. DETERMINATION - The officer will put forward a recommendation to management or the application may be reviewed by various determination panels, depending on its size, complexity, number of submissions received etc.
  6. OUTCOME - The applicant will receive electronic confirmation of the outcome of the application.

To track the progress of your application online, visit our Application Search.

Note:  All applications for development which include demolition or construction, must be accompanied by a Waste Management Plan and satisfy Council’s Waste Management Guidelines.

Before you start work

Before you start any work, make sure you seek advice and approvals from Council or a planning professional. Protect yourself, your project and your community by following the guidance you are given to avoid unnecessary financial and legal consequences. 

Once development consent is granted, there are some more steps you must take before you can start to build:

  • Obtain a Construction Certificate - In most cases, a Construction Certificate is required and can be obtained through an Accredited Certifier (Private Certifier) or through Council. Download the Construction Certificate Form and Checklist. Once completed the form may be lodged by mail or in person. Fees apply at this stage. Call us on 1300 434 434 to find out which fees apply.
  • Appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) - The certifier will conduct critical stage inspections and provide final completion certificates once your project is completed. See the Building Professionals Board for more information on appointing a Private Certifier.
  • Notify Council in writing of the PCA's details and the date of commencement of building works, at least 2 days prior to commencement.