Stage 1 Program - Different Coastal Environments
North Narrabeen provides an amazing learning opportunity for students to visit a lagoon environment, a beach environment and a bushland environment. Students will spend the day learning about different aquatic habitats, why they are important and their role in looking after our amazing coastline.
Syllabus inquiry questions
- What are the features of, and activities in, places?
- How can we care for places?
- How can spaces within a place be used for different purposes?
- How can we improve a local environment to encourage living things to thrive?
Coastal Environment Centre, Narrabeen Lagoon
Our experienced educators facilitate 3 – 4 activities beside the lagoon. These activities include interactive elements for the children to participate in while highlighting the effects of human impact on the environment. Through these experiences, students suggest ways they themselves can have a positive effect on our local environments.
Bushwalk to Turimetta Beach
This bushwalk goes along North Narrabeen headland with a bird’s eye view of the mouth of the lagoon meeting the ocean. This assists them to interpret a 3D model of the area, with both natural and manmade features highlighted. After arriving at Turimetta Beach, the children explore this environment through discovery and discussion. We study the work of artist Andy Goldsworthy and replicate on the beach.
Explore North Narrabeen Rock Platform
The highlight of the day! Following a safety talk, and guided by our knowledgeable educators, children explore the rock platform. This habitat is full of diverse animals, sure to inspire and ignite the curiosity. An exciting and truly interactive learning experience!
Key syllabus outcomes
Geography: Features of Place
- describes features of places and the connections people have with places GE1-1
- identifies ways in which people interact with and care for places GE1-2
- communicates geographical information and uses geographical tools for inquiry GE1-3
Science: Living World
- describes observable features of living things and their environments ST1-4LW-S