Development contributions are a levy on new development to fund new or upgraded local infrastructure such as parks, roads and traffic treatments, footpaths and cycleways, community spaces such as libraries, community facilities, child care and public art, and stormwater and drainage improvements. Contributions can be made by cash contribution or through a Planning Agreement.
Temporary deferral of payment during the COVID-19 period
On 8 July 2020, the NSW Government introduced a range of initiatives to help minimise financial burden resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. One of those initiatives relates to the deferral of development contributions payments until 31 March 2022, and is subject to the following criteria:
- A development consent was issued for the erection of a new building or a change of use of an existing building and has an estimated cost exceeding $10 million. The Construction Certificate for this development consent is issued before 25 September 2022.
- The development does not involve subdivision of land, resulting in additional lots.
- The consent is not a Complying Development Certificate.
For development that meets the above criteria, development contributions are now payable prior to the issue of an Occupation Certificate.
More information on this change can be found on the Department of Planning website under changes to infrastructure contributions.
Payment of contributions
Paying development contributions can be made:
- in person at a Customer Service Centre
- by email, mail or fax (please complete a Customer Credit Card Payment Form).
Current Contributions Plans
Northern Beaches Local Government Area (excluding Warriewood and Dee Why Town Centre)
This Plan applies to the Northern Beaches LGA excluding the Warriewood Valley Release Area and Dee Why Town Centre. The Plan applies a contribution based on the cost of the development (EPA Regulation 2000 – Section 7.12 levy – determination of proposed cost of development).
- Northern Beaches Section 7.12 Contributions Plan 2021
- Northern Beaches Map and Contribution Plan Comparison
Dee Why Town Centre
This Plan applies to the Dee Why Town Centre and applies a levy to fund the infrastructure improvements required to support the future anticipated population in the Town Centre.
Warriewood Valley Release Area
This Plan applies to the Warriewood Valley Release Area and applies a levy to fund the infrastructure improvements required to support the future anticipated population in the release area.