Has your business just started to implement a few sustainability initiatives?
Or maybe your business has a well-established sustainability program and has implemented many sustainability initiatives.
Find out which areas could be improved to continue on your journey towards net zero.
Follow the steps, under each topic area, to enable you to grow and achieve sustainability goals in a manner and pace that is best suited to you and your business needs. Further steps and resources may be released after review of the pilot period of the program.
Steps 'towards net zero'
1. Join and engage with the Sustainability Business Network (SBN)
- Complete this survey to join the SBN and connect with other members.
- Check out the members on the interactive Sustainability Business Network map. You can search via business name or topic of interest e.g. water savings.
2. Get some inspiration
- Read some case studies from local businesses that are kicking goals in their sustainability journey.
- Check the Australian Sustainable Development Goals Handbook - It is a guide for all Australian industry, from not-for-profits and universities to corporations and government agencies; it's particularly useful to those starting out, as the guide provides key background information about the SDGs, the benefits of incorporating them into business, case studies and practical guidance.
3. Implement a Sustainability Policy
- Use our Sustainability Policy template as a starting point to put a statement together.
- Outline what your sustainability goals and objectives are (get your staff involved in this process).
4. Self-assessment: What stage are you currently at?
Assess your current status on your sustainability journey.
- Use the ‘How to guides’ and ‘Self-assessment Checklists’ to self-assess how your business is currently tracking with sustainability measures.
- Identify the areas that you'd like to improve on within the business and the actions you are going to take.
5. Next Steps - Sustainability Action Plan
Identify actions required and project(s) to implement:
- Using the actions you have previously identified in the 'self-assessment checklists' under 'targets' you can now create your own tailored 'Sustainability Action Plan'; set timescales for each action and add in tracking to monitor your progress.
- Utilise other resources such as Council's Swap for Good program and government-funded schemes.
- Don't forget to regularly review your action plan to monitor your progress.
- Share your success stories and submit a case study to us.
At any stage in the process you can contact Council officers for assistance along the way.