We are committed to taking care of our precious environment, now and for future generations. This is a challenge we can all work on together. Northern Beaches Council is developing new strategies and goals in relation to environmental sustainability and climate change. Watch this space and we will let you know when you can have your say.
What Council is doing...
We want to be environmentally sustainable and are working everyday on new and exciting projects. Here is some of what we have already done:
- We have over 340 kW of solar panels installed on 34 Council buildings
- Making Council’s Community Buildings more sustainable for example a cogeneration plant helps heat water and produce energy for the Manly Andrew 'Boy' Charlton Aquatic Centre
- We are continually working to reduce our water consumption and improve water quality with projects such as Water Sensitive Urban Design raingardens
- We have purchased our first electric vehicle.
- We are partners in the Climate Council's Cities Power Partnership and have made five climate change pledges, track our progress here
- We are progressively upgrading our sportsgrounds with energy efficient lighting. You can see our new lights at St Matthews Farm, Old Reub Hudson Oval and North Narrabeen Reserve.
- We have decreased our energy usage at Manly Library and Manly Town Hall with more efficient air conditioning systems.
- We are making it easier for you to use sustainable transport options. We worked with the NSW Government to bring the B-Line bus service to the beaches. We have recently adopted a Northern Beaches Transport Strategy: Move 2038. We also support car share facilities, provision of electric vehicle charging points and bike networks.
- We are supporting innovation with the installation of SOURCE water hydropanels at Currawong Holiday Cottages. in partnership with Zero Mass Water and ARENA. They produce clean drinking water from air and build resilience into the water supply of the site.
- We are committed to becoming plastic free. We want to show leadership so we've given over 400 reusable cups to staff. We help you do it too, with water fountains for bottle refills and over the next two years we will work with our local businesses to reduce their plastic use.
What you can do...
Every day you can make a difference. Some days it will be small, like using a reusable coffee cup, and sometimes it will be huge, like building your new home sustainably or founding a community garden. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Planning to renovate or re-build? Check out the YourHome guide on how you can create a comfortable home with a low impact on the environment
- Pay less for your electricity, make it on your rooftop. With the cost of solar panels decreasing, electricity prices increasing and improving finance options there has never been a better time: check out our SunSPoT tool to investigate your solar potential and call the energy experts at Our Energy Future for a free no obligation quote.
- Got an awesome idea to improve environmental sustainability in your community? Apply for a community grant.
- Are you a local business? Join the Council's Sustainability Business Network and work towards obtaining a Sustainability Award.
- Use your car a little less. Try out a car share program, ride your bike, or hop on a bus. Check out the shared paths.
- Green your space. Plant a vegetable garden, try out a green wall, or plant some natives and encourage some native animals to visit
- Don't throw it away - reuse, repurpose or recycle it.