Graffiti is vandalism that affects everyone from residents and business owners to public transport and local governments. Tens of millions of taxpayer dollars are spent annually on repairing the damage that graffiti causes. Northern Beaches Council is committed to removing illegal graffiti.
Graffiti Removal from Public Areas
Council removes graffiti from public areas and walls or fences joining public land. We can’t enter private land or remove graffiti from private walls higher than 3 metres above ground.
To request the removal of graffiti, use our Graffiti Removal Booking Form and in most cases, clean-up will happen within two to five days (or 1 day for offensive graffiti).
Rapid Removal Program
Our Graffiti Rapid Removal Program involves scheduled cleaning from specified sites and Council buildings. We patrol and remove graffiti along major roads every week and throughout the rest of Northern Beaches every month.
You can report graffiti on your private property to the Police Assistance Line on 13 14 44, 9am to 5pm weekdays (excluding public holidays).
Graffiti Prevention on Your Property
You can take steps to prevent graffiti on your property or to make removal easier:
- Choose fencing made of pickets, wrought iron or natural bamboo or bush reed large over colourbond walls.
- Plant climbers, thorny shrubs or trees to minimise access to walls or fencing.
- Outside lighting - vandals don’t like ‘working’ under spotlights.
- Keep your property well maintained. Neglected properties attract vandalism and graffiti.
- Vandals usually target light-colour surfaces. Choose dark walls and fences which are easier to paint over.
- Lock your property, fences and gates and make sure wheelie bins and barbecues can't be used to reach walls and rooftops.
- Prompt removal of graffiti (within 24 to 48 hours) discourages repeat graffiti.