It is our great pleasure to announce the finalists for the 2020 Northern Beaches Young Writers' Competition.
Twenty-four finalists were selected from 550 wonderful entries. The shortlisted stories will soon be read by our judges and then all will be published in an eBook.
- Alice Surace - St Lukes Grammar, Year 5
- Ally Simpson - Mackellar Girls Campus, Year 11
- Amy O'Brien - Oxford Falls Grammar School, Year 10
- Anoushka Dymock - German International School, Year 2
- Bailey Newton - Kambora Public School, Year 6
- Caitlin Wood - Our Lady of Good Counsel, Year 4
- Camille Fontana - Killarney Heights Public School, Year 5
- Charlotte Bristow - Covenant Christian, Year 9
- Finn Webster - Pittwater High School, Year 8
- Gabi Russell - Oxford Falls Grammar School, Year 10
- Hannah Grant - Oxford Falls Grammar School, Year 7
- Indigo Thomas - Harbord Public School, Year 1
- Jasmine Evans - Yanginanook, Year 4
- Jayden Ying - Forestville Public School, Year 5
- Kayleigh Greig - Oxford Falls Grammar School, Year 11
- Keira Clewett - St Lukes Grammar, Year 3
- Matisse Hayes Black - Curl Curl North Public School, Year 2
- Mia Pettitt - Pittwater High School, Year 7
- Phoebe O'Brien - Stella Maris, Year 11
- Ruby Mascarenhas - Mackellar Girls Campus, Year 9
- Samuel Ollerhead - Oxford Falls Grammar School, Year 8
- Summa Harrison - Avalon Public School, Year 2
- Tess Lanham - Pittwater High School, Year 11
- Xavier Astill - St John the Baptist Freshwater, Year 4
Congratulations to all of our finalists.
- 14 June – 20 July: Short-listing and judging of stories by library staff and celebrity author judges.
- Thursday 30 July: Finalists will be notified and receive an invitation to the Presentation Night and alphabetical list of finalists is published on our website.
- Wednesday 12 August: Presentation night, 6pm for 6:30pm start (invite only event)
- Thursday 13 August: Winners, runners-up and highly commended results published on our website as well as the published eBook.
For more information, please email our Library Programs team or call 9976 1739.
About the competition:
Write an original story using this year's theme word 'splash' for a chance to be published as an author in a library eBook.
The competition is open to students up to and including year 12 who live or go to school on the Northern Beaches and are members of the Northern Beaches library service.
Entries will be judged according to characterisation, originality, plot and use of language and will be arranged into six different age group categories.
Four finalists are chosen in each age category and invited to a presentation night where a winner, runner-up and two highly commended prizes are awarded. Finalists from each category will have their stories published in an eBook that will be added to our collection.
Want some inspiration? Check out the 2019 Young Writers' Competition winning entries in the eBook Wild.