Understanding Your Rates

How do I pay my rates?

Rates payments can be made by any of the methods displayed on your Rates & Charges Notice. Note that there are currently distinct methods of payment for each of the former councils, e.g. telephone numbers, postal addresses, Bpay Biller Codes and in person. These methods will be harmonised once the records and systems of the former councils are combined.

What is the Rate Path Freeze Policy and how will it be implemented?

The NSW Government has provided a policy commitment that ratepayers will pay no more in rates than they would have under their former council for four years. It should be noted this commitment is to freeze existing rate pathways, rather than freezing the level of rates that are levied by councils.

Why do the rates change each year?

Rates vary from year to year based on a combination of land values, rate pegging and special rate variations (SRV).

The Valuer General provides new land values every three years which may affect your rates.

This rate pegging and any SRV that were determined by IPART prior to the formation of the new Council will still apply to the ratepayers of each of those former council areas.

What rate pegging and SRV is available to me?

IPART determined that rates in 2016/17 may be increased by a maximum of 1.8% for the former Manly and Pittwater Councils and 3% for the former Warringah Council.

What land valuations have been used for assessing rates for the 2016/17 year?

Rates for properties in the former Warringah and Pittwater areas have been assessed using land values issued by the Valuer General having a date of 1 July 2015. For the previous three years, valuations as at 1 July 2012 were used.

Rates for properties in the former Manly area have been assessed using land values having a date of 1 July 2014 which is consistent with land values used for the previous year.

What has been the impact on rates of new land valuations issued by the Valuer General?

The total value of rateable properties in the former Pittwater area increased from 2012 to 2015 on average by 25% and in the former Warringah area on average by 42%.

As noted above this has not impacted the former Manly Council as their revaluation occurred last year.

The overall increase in total rates income cannot be more than the increases approved by IPART. However, individual properties whose valuations have increased considerably more than the average will experience an increase in their rates above the percentage increase approved by IPART. Where individual property valuations increased by less than the average, those ratepayers will experience smaller increases or even decreases in rates.

What if I disagree with my land value?

If you have concerns relating to your new property valuation, you can lodge an objection in writing by using the Valuer General's online objection lodgement facility at www.valuergeneral.nsw.gov.au/services/object.htm.

You can find more information about objecting to a valuation by phoning the Valuation Call Centre on 1800 110 038.