Due to the risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and acting on advice of lead NSW and Federal health authorities, Council has taken the precautionary decision to postpone the Exchange Program.
Our top priority is the health and safety of our staff and community. These are difficult circumstances and we appreciate your patience and understanding.
In 1990, Former Manly Council and Odawara City Council formed a Friendship City Agreement. Part of this agreement includes an annual reciprocal language and cultural student exchange with Tokimeki International School in Odawara, Japan.
Every year up to 20 Northern Beaches Students studying Japanese in Year 8 or above get the chance to improve their Japanese language skills and learn firsthand about Japanese culture travelling to Odawara for ten days in September.
In return, every year in July up to 20 Odawara students get the chance to improve their English language skills and learn first hand about Australia and Northern Beaches culture hosted by Northern Beaches students and their families.
Payment of $2,450 covers return airfares, airport transfers, group travel insurance, uniform top, most meals, activities and sightseeing in Japan and some activities on the itinerary during the return visit.
Please note, accommodation is homestay, you are required to host a male or female student from Odawara in your home during their visit in July and you will be hosted in their home during our stay in September.
Are you Eligible?
To apply you need to be:
- In Year 8 or above by the application deadline
- A resident of the Northern Beaches Local Government Area
- Enrolled and studying Japanese language at a secondary school
- Holding a current Australian passport with 6 months validity or be eligible to apply for a passport
- 13 May: Deadline for Japanese language teachers to submit student application form and assessment for students
- 23 May: Panel interview for shortlisted students and their parents
- 23 July - 1 August: Participating students and their families host Odawara students
- 27 September - 8 October: Northern Beaches students hosted in Japan with chaperones
Also note there are seven mandatory orientation lessons to prepare for the exchange.