1. As at 1 March 2019, the majority of band members must be under 19 years of age and no single band member may be over 24 years of age. Competitors under 12 years of age must be approved by organisers as suitable for the competition. Organisers reserve the right to refuse entry.
2. If band members’ ages are mixed, the average age will be calculated as at 1 March 2019 (proof of age may be required). The average age MUST be under 19 years (i.e. if average age is 19.2 – bands will not qualify).
3. Bands cannot be signed to a record or publishing label.
4. One Judges Choice Winner and one Audience Choice Winner from each heat will be selected to go into the final. In the event of a draw, the judges will decide which band goes through, or there may be an option of extra finalists. Bands will only be eligible for their respective awards at the final, e.g. an Audience Choice Heat winner cannot win the Judges Choice Award at the final and visa versa, the exception being when a band has won both categories at their heat. Audience Choice is selected by votes. No band member, or anyone associated with a band, may purchase extra entries, use found voting slips, copy voting slips, attempt to unfairly influence people in their voting choice, or in any way make more than one vote. This may lead to bands being disqualified. Only paying patrons receive a voting slip.
5. A Wild Card band may go into the final if the judges feel that it is warranted.
6. Stage time is strictly 40 minutes in the heats. This includes set up time. Times may be altered if unforeseen situations arise.
7. All bands must be available to play the night of the final on 12 April 2019.
8. A vocal PA will be used for the Heats. You will require your own drum kit, instruments, amps etc. Small amps are okay - we can boost them through our PA system.
9. Bands will be given the opportunity to nominate preferred performance dates; however, organisers cannot guarantee preferred performance dates. Bands are required to perform on the date nominated by the organiser.
10. Bands must supply a stage plot on request.
11. These are “All Ages” alcohol and drug free events. Any performers found under the influence or in possession of alcohol or drugs in or near the performance venue will be immediately disqualified without refund. Bands are expected to tailor their performances appropriately for an under 18s audience.
12. All bands must be at the venue by 6.30pm on the night of their heat for the line-up order draw (names drawn from a hat) and band briefing.
13. If performers do not turn up or are late for their heat they will be disqualified and entry money will not be refunded.
14. All material presented is to be original, or original artist properly acknowledged.
15. The judge’s decision is final and no arguments will be entered into. Judging panel may comprise: youth workers, sound technicians, special guests and or sponsors.
16. If more entries are received than there are places in the heats (18), bands will be selected from their demo CDs/USB. Demos to include minimum of three songs and will be judged on originality, musicianship, area the band is based, overall presentation and appeal to a youth audience. You will be asked to supply demo if needed.
17. Due to the popularity of the contest and that it is sponsored by Northern Beaches Council, absolute preference is given to bands from the Northern Beaches region. Secondary preference goes to Northern Sydney region (Mosman, North Sydney, Ryde, Lane Cove, Ku-ring-gai, Hornsby, Hunters Hill & Willoughby). Other outside area bands will only be considered if available places are not taken up by bands from the Northern Beaches and Northern Sydney regions.
18. Competing bands will be judged on the following five categories: Musicianship, Originality, Stage Presence, Youth Audience Appeal (10 points each) and for Overall Presentation (20 points) - for a total out of 60. Overall Presentation can include attitude, turning up on time, attendance at Band Briefing etc.
19. A Junior Encouragement Award may be given to a band which has a membership age 16 years or under, even if they do not make the final.
20. A School Award may be given to a band even if they do not make the final. To be eligible, bands must have all members from the same school. Prize will be awarded to school, not the band.
21. Organisers take no responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged equipment. Look after your stuff – do not leave it unattended at any time.
22. Breaches in these conditions may result in disqualification or loss of points – with no refund of entry fee.
23. It is the band’s responsibility to claim prizes from sponsors within six months or date set by sponsor. A letter of introduction will be provided indicating the band has won and this must be presented to the organisation providing the prize. Prizes are void after this time.
24. Participants indemnify Northern Beaches Council and its agents for any actions, claims or demands of any kind resulting in personal injury, property loss or actions of band members. It is advised that the venue is covered under council public liability insurance coverage. Band members are advised to seek their own legal advice on their personal insurance requirements.
25. The overall Judges Choice winners of previous Northern Composure band competitions are not eligible to enter into future Northern Composure band competitions.
26. All band entry money must be posted or delivered to Council before the date of your heat.
27. Bands and band members (and their parent/guardian if under 18 years) agree to allow information, photos and video taken at events to be used for advertising or promotional purposes.
28. All band members (and the parent/guardian of band members under 18 years) have read and understand the ‘Northern Composure Band Competition 2019 Terms & Conditions of Entry.
Northern Composure is proudly sponsored and supported by Northern Beaches Council.