As schools on the Northern Beaches work towards reducing waste and plastic, canteens are showing the next generation the way.
If your school canteen needs help getting started, we’re supporting a limited number with personalised support and a start-up pack of reusable food containers.
The Swap for Good Canteen Support Program offers help and advice from Council’s waste education team and expert Sherene LaGasse from Foodnasties and Plasticnasties.
Sherene has over nine years of canteen experience in primary and high schools focusing mainly on the Northern Beaches. She has developed programs for school canteens, troubleshooting and working together on creating a waste-free and plastic-free environment.
Depending on where your school canteen is at on their reducing waste journey, you’ll get support on what you need to eliminate first.
Council’s waste education team will support you to remove plastic water bottles and straws first. Once you’ve eliminated these, Sherene LaGasse will help your canteen swap out disposable food containers and replace them with a start-up pack of reusable food containers. The containers will include your school’s logo and the amount offered will vary according to your school’s requirements and student numbers. Schools will be selected based on their EOI submitted.
You are eligible to apply for the support program if your school is within the Northern Beaches LGA and you have:
- Registered and worked with Swap for Good to commence/continue to reduce single-use plastic in your canteen. Need to do that now? Contact us to get started
- You have the support of your school principal and community
- You have or will work to remove plastic straws and single-use water bottles from your canteen
- Beyond plastic straws and water bottles, you have a commitment to reduce single-use plastic food containers and other single-use plastic items in your school and canteen
Steps to get involved
- Research reusable systems and consider how it might work for you. Watch the webinar A plastic free school canteen for more ideas
- Speak with your school principal, P&C, relevant school staff and your school community about future directions and support
- When you are ready to move forward, complete the Expression of Interest form.
Get in quick, as submissions will be reviewed as they are received. The EOI will close when all funding has been allocated.
This project is an initiative of Northern Beaches Council and the NSW Department of Environment Protection Authority Waste Less Recycle More initiative funded from the waste levy.