Our free bulky goods clean-up collections are your opportunity to free up space at home. Get rid of all sorts of bulky items you don’t need any more, or that you can’t recycle or reuse in any other way, including mattresses.
If you live in the former Warringah Council area, Council collects bulky goods from your neighbourhood twice a year. We’ll notify you with a letterbox drop three weeks before the collection date. We don’t publish clean-up dates in advance in order to deter dumping.
If you live in the former Manly or Pittwater Council areas you can choose your collection date, subject to availability. Advance booking is essential and can be done on line for former Manly or former Pittwater. If you have any issues please call Waste Services on 1300 434 434. We’ll send you an email confirmation and you can opt for an SMS reminder ahead of time in case you forget.
Scheduled Collections on Scotland Island and Western Foreshore
Council collects bulky goods from Scotland Island and the Western Foreshore twice a year. You can find out about upcoming collections on your waste calendar.
Please Remember When You Put Items Out
- Items should be on the kerb or nature strip no earlier than the weekend before your collection.
- Dismantle large items so one person can load them.
- Remove doors from stoves, washing machines and fridges.
- Place metal items in separate pile for recycling.
- Keep it to three cubic metres – what would fit into a small box trailer.
What We Can Collect
- Mattresses and bed bases
- Air mattresses
- Non-recyclable household items
- Up to 12 fence palings
- Rolled and tied up carpets up to 1.8m long
- Empty hot water systems
- White goods
- Up to three sheets of metal roofing maximum size1m x 1.5m
- Metal chairs
- Items made entirely from metal
Please Don’t Put These Items Out
- Heavy items that can’t be safely moved by two people
- Liquid or business waste
- E-waste, specifically TVs, computers
- Car parts, tyres, oils
- Sheet glass or mirrors
- Building material, including insulation, brick, rubble, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, asbestos
- Hazardous waste, including smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, gas bottles, chemicals, paint tins
- Vegetation, recyclable material, household garbage
- Polystyrene bean bags
- Small items like knives,forks and spoons. (Nothing smaller than a toaster)
Use All the Recycling Resources Available to You
You could reduce the items going to landfill by holding a garage sale before your collection. Or give items to a charity or a friend. Check out other ideas and resources on the Northern Beaches to help you recycle and reduce waste:
If You Need to Cancel Your Pre-booked Household Clean-up
If you need to cancel, just call us on 1300 434 434 until the Sunday before your pre-booked collection day. If you’ve pre-booked a collection and forget to place your items out, it will still count as one of your two annual clean-ups.