Every household is unique and needs its very own Emergency Kit. An emergency kit is an essential item in the effective preparation for an emergency event.
Your emergency kit should contain the necessary items you and your family will require in case of an emergency event, power outage or if you need to evacuate your home.
Having a well-stocked emergency kit can not only provide peace of mind, but help to ensure the safety of your loved ones in an emergency situation.
Why not tackle it as a project for yourself or your family? Kids might like to lead the project and involve the whole family.
Start with this emergency kit template to get you thinking about the best ways to plan for and protect you and yours.
What to keep in your emergency kit all the time:
- A copy of your home emergency plan
- Copies of all important documents in sealed plastic bags
- Portable analogue radio with spare batteries (or wind up radio)
- Torch with spare batteries
- Candles, waterproof matches and/or lighter
- Spare mobile phone charger
- First aid kit and manual
- Strong plastic garbage bags
- Tarp and tape for emergency repairs
- Any tools needed to turn off utilities
- Water purification tablets
What to add when a warning is issued:
- Originals of important documents in watertight bag
- Three days’ supply of bottled water, non-perishable food, a can opener and pet food
- Toiletries and medications (including prescriptions, special requirements for babies, disabled and elderly family members)
- Mobile phone and charger
- Money and spare house and car keys
- Blankets and spare clothes