In its second year, the Art & Words Project aims to celebrate community creativity by continuing to connect local writers and artists.
The theme word for 2020 is Portrait.
Portraits have long been the exploratory subjects of both literary and visual works. This theme is not restricted to the physical shape ‘taller than wide’. We’re interested in representative analyses giving deep insight of people, places, objects or ideas, whether fictional, impressionist or realist. Also, self-portrait. What portraits define life on the Northern Beaches?
In this first stage, we are inviting writers to submit an original 3,000 word limit story and artists to submit a portfolio of their work.
Following submissions, a panel will select 12 stories and pair them with 12 selected artists who will then create a piece of artwork inspired by the story.
The collection of 24 writings and artworks will then be published in an anthology. Successful candidates will receive a creator’s fee and a complimentary copy of the anthology presented at the launch night.
Selected art works will be displayed at Northern Beaches libraries, as well as on the 24-hour digital display screen at Manly Art Gallery & Museum.
How to Enter
Entries are now closed.
- Entries open: Tuesday 17 December 2019.
- Closing date for entry: Monday 16 March, 9am.
- Successful artists and writers notified by: Friday 27 March.
- Successful artist completed work received by: Friday 29 May.
- Launch night: Thursday 17 September, 6pm at Manly Library, 1 Market Place, Manly NSW.
- Digital exhibition open to the public: Friday 18 September at Manly Art Gallery & Museum as well as displayed at Northern Beaches Libraries.
For further information contact: ArtAndWordsProject@northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au
The Art & Words Project is a collaboration between local author Zena Shapter and Northern Beaches Council.