Due to COVID-19, all Anzac Day commemorative services have been cancelled.
Instead, we are encouraging our community to unite and recognise past and current armed services personnel by participating in a number of online activities.
Commemorative Service - online from Canberra
Anzac Day Commemorative Service, Canberra - Sat 25, from 5.30am
Broadcast live on television by the ABC and streamed online.
Show your Anzac Spirit
- RSL NSW is suggesting a variety of ways to show your Anzac Spirit. Share messages of support and how you commemorate on their facebook page.
- 'Light up the Dawn' on Anzac Day at 6am from your driveway, balcony or lounge room, or perhaps sharing a message of support for veterans.
- Play the Last Post at 6am in your driveway on Anzac Day. Australian jazz musician James Morrison is calling on all brass musicians (download music from Music for Mateship).
- Fly Australian flags at half-mast.
- Bake some tasty Anzac biscuits. Check out this recipe from Women's Weekly.
- Use this Mobile app to guide you through the Driveway at Dawn Service. It contains a live broadcast of the National Service and a pre-recorded short recitation of The Ode, The Last Post, a minute of silence and Reveille.
- Take the Poppy Pledge and vow never to forget those that have fallen.
- Learn how to make a Poppy and stick it on your letter box to show your support.
- Buy a beautiful white cross with hand-made crocheted red poppy to place at the end of your driveway supported by the Northern Beaches Community Board and Avalon RSL sub-branch.
- Pick up a free candle to 'Light up the Dawn' from Mitre 10 Mona Vale or Avalon, offered with the support of Avalon Beach RSL sub-branch and Pittwater RSL sub-branch.
- Listen to an Anzac-inspired story courtesy of our library.
- Hear from Karen Smith, Educator at the Aboriginal Heritage Office about Anzac Day and Indigenous Australians.
Council is showing its support by organising the following activities:
- Australian flags placed on war veteran graves at Mona Vale and Manly Cemeteries.
- Child Care Centres learning about Anzac through activities e.g. making rosemary wreaths, poppy necklaces and baking Anzac biscuits.
- Special Anzac story time via our library.
Community organised activities
Council is aware of the following activities being organised across the Northern Beaches. If you participate, please remember to abide by government Social Distance Guidelines.
If you would like to add your activity to this list, please email the details to email@example.com.
Forestville RSL Sub-Branch
- Virtual Church Service at St David's Anglican Church, Forestville (recorded Fri 17 Apr).
Harbord Diggers RSL sub-Branch
- Freshwater residents have received two poppies to plant in the Jacka Park rosemary garden (before or on Anzac Day).
- Lay a wreath at the Wall of Remembrance in Jacka Park. Personal notes will be collected and posted on our website.