There is nothing more iconic than heading to the waterfront on a balmy summer’s day and Council is encouraging visitors to our magnificent waterways to have fun, stay safe and respect the location like a local.
The Northern Beaches is full of fun outdoor activities to do year round, but it is our beaches which attract the biggest crowds – in fact Council works closely with all 21 Surf Life Saving Clubs to ensure the safety of the 10.5 million visitors to our beaches each year.
Northern Beaches CEO Ray Brownlee said Council works closely with local police at popular locations in and around Manly including East Esplanade Reserve.
“East Esplanade Reserve is a local gem which is popular all year round, but sees an influx of people over the warmer months as it’s renowned for its crystal clear water and stunning sunsets.
“While the vast majority of people at this particular location are well behaved, Council is reminding everyone that it is an Alcohol Prohibited Area which means no alcohol can be consumed after 8pm every night. And our beaches are also alcohol free 24/7.
“Visitors to the area also need to be mindful of noise given its located right at the doorstep of homes.
“We want everyone to enjoy their time here on the Northern Beaches and the safety of our residents and guests is paramount.
“Rangers perform patrols of these areas regularly and enforce the rules which mean you will be asked to tip out your alcohol after the curfew.” Mr. Brownlee said.
If you plan to go for a dip in the water for your safety and the safety of your friends and family, please remember the following tips from our Lifeguards:
- Always swim between the red and yellow flags
- Know your capability and don’t put yourself a risk in unfamiliar water
- Read the safety signs
- Ask a lifeguard or lifesaver for safety advice and always follow their directions
- Swim with a friend or family member
- If you need help, stay calm and attract attention by raising your arm above your head
- Do not enter the water if drinking alcohol or you are under the influence of drugs
- Wear sunscreen, seek shade and stay hydrated from the sun’s harmful rays
- For any emergency dial Triple ‘0’