Keep up with our News
Stay up to date with the latest news that affects you, subscribe to our newsletters for information right to your inbox.
The NSW Premier today announced the following in relation to COVID-19. Please see media release from The Premier, Minister for Health and Medical Research, Deputy Premier and Treasurer as follows:
Given low vaccination rates, the current stay at home orders will remain in place for another four weeks (until Saturday, 28 August at 12.01am) across Greater Sydney including the Central Coast, Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour.
This extra time will allow NSW residents to significantly increase the uptake of vaccines in areas most affected by the current outbreak and across the state.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said higher vaccination rates and following the health orders are the only way to guarantee the further easing of restrictions.
“Though the Pfizer supply is insufficient there is plenty of AstraZeneca, and updated federal health advice recommends anyone aged 18 and over in Greater Sydney should access the jab,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“If you are unvaccinated, please organise a jab as soon as you possibly can, especially if you live in an LGA of concern.”
Other restriction changes are as follows:
From midnight tonight (28 July):
The five previously announced LGAs of concern are Canterbury-Bankstown, Fairfield, Liverpool, Blacktown and Cumberland.
From 12.01am, Saturday, 31 July:
Changes to surveillance testing (enforceable from Saturday, 31 July):
Year 12 students are also set to return to face-to-face learning on Monday, 16 August, with the Government finalising plans for the resumption of in-class study under strict COVID protocols.
The NSW Government is also working with industry and the Department of Education to introduce Rapid Antigen Testing to mitigate against outbreaks in workplaces and schools.
Deputy Premier John Barilaro said restrictions in regional NSW will remain unchanged.
“The lockdown in Greater Sydney and every measure and precaution we implement is not only for the residents of Sydney but to protect regional NSW and to prevent the virus reaching our regional communities,” Mr Barilaro said.
Treasurer Dominic Perrottet welcomed the Commonwealth Government’s commitment to provide additional support for those hardest hit during this pandemic.
“Working with our federal counterparts we are providing extra support to ensure the businesses and people who have been hit hardest by this pandemic get the financial assistance they need to get through this crisis and back on the path to recovery,” Mr Perrottet said.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said though the stay-at-home restrictions are difficult for the community this is a critical time if we are to suppress the outbreak.
“The vast majority of the community has been absolutely fantastic to date and have followed the public health advice. Though we are easing some restrictions today we need people to redouble their efforts as we continue to battle the Delta variant in the coming weeks,” Mr Hazzard said.
“We need people to stay at home unless absolutely necessary to leave and the best reason for most people to leave home right now is to get vaccinated. In doing so, you are taking a vital step to protect yourself, your loved ones and the community.”
For the latest information visit COVID-19.