In 1990, Former Manly Council and Odawara City Council formed a Friendship City Agreement. Part of this agreement includes an annual reciprocal language and cultural student exchange with Tokimeki International School in Odawara, Japan.
Every year 20 Northern Beaches Student studying Japanese in Year 8 or above get the chance to improve their Japanese language skills and learn firsthand about Japanese culture travelling to Odawara in September.
In return, every year in July 20 Odawara Tokimeki International School students get the chance to improve their English language skills and learn first hand about Australia and Northern Beaches Culture hosted by Northern Beaches Youth Ambassadors and their families.
Payment of $2,200 covers return airfares, airport transfers, group travel insurance, uniform top, most meals, activities and sightseeing in Japan and some activities on the itinerary during the return visit.
Please note, accommodation is homestay, you are required to host a male or female student from Odawara in your home during their visit in July and you will be hosted in their home during our stay in September.
Are you Eligible?
To apply you need to be:
- In Year 8 or above by the application deadline
- A resident of the Northern Beaches local government area
- Enrolled and studying Japanese language at a secondary school
- Holding a current Australian passport or be eligible to apply for a passport
- 7 May: Deadline for Japanese language teachers to submit student application form and assessment for students
- 18 May: Panel interview for shortlisted students and their parents
- 25 July - 3 August: Participating students and their families host Odawara students
- 29 September - 11 October: Northern Beaches students hosted in Japan with chaperones
Also note there are six mandatory orientation lessons to prepare for the exchange.
How to Apply for the 2019 Program
- Once completed, then pass on to your Japanese language teacher
- Your teacher will submit your application, together with their assessment, to the Northern Beaches Council by 7 May