Northern Beaches Suicide Response Steering Group
In June 2018, Council's Community Safety Committee resolved to form a Working Group to address growing concerns in the community about deaths by suicide on the Northern Beaches. In April 2019 this group was succeeded by the Northern Beaches Suicide Response Steering Group.
The Northern Beaches Suicide Response Steering Group is comprised of:
- Northern Beaches Council (Coordinator)
- Northern Beaches Police Area Command (Chair)
- Lifeline Northern Beaches
- Community Care Northern Beaches
- Northern Sydney Local Health District
- Sydney North Primary Health Network
Aims and goals
The group aims to play a lead role in developing, coordinating and communicating a Northern Beaches Suicide Response Action Plan and to drive its implementation and evaluation.
Together, these agencies have identified six priority goals:
- Engage with the community - encouragement and share resources
- Support the sector - improve intervention, strengthen referral pathways
- Coordinate and collaborate - integrated response
- Train the community - improve skills and resilience
- Build an evidence base - collect data
- Restrict access to means - conduct safety audits, consider signage and fencing
Six priority goals have been set by the Group
Northern Beaches Suicide Response Progress Report - April 2020
Over the last two years the Northern Beaches Suicide Response Steering Group has made significant achievements towards suicide prevention, intervention and postvention as noted in the progress report.
Learn how you can get involved in preventing suicide on the Northern Beaches, including volunteering or signing up to hear about mental health first aid training.