Mental Health Month is a great opportunity to encourage awareness of mental health, and social and emotional wellbeing in our community.
Celebrated each year in October, Mental Health Month aims to raise awareness, decrease stigma, and empower people to seek help, for themselves or others. This can give people from our community the awareness and the courage to consider their mental health and wellbeing as something that they can work on.
The theme for Mental Health Month 2021 is ‘Tune In’.
- Tuning In means being present, being aware of what’s happening within you, and in the world around you.
- Tune In to your senses – what can you sense right now? What can you feel?
- Tune In to your communities – what’s happening that you can be part of, or that you can help others be part of?
- Tune In to stigma – how do attitudes and understandings of mental health and wellbeing impact people’s ability to live the lives they want?
The Northern Beaches Mental Health interagency working group has filmed the activities to enjoy online:
- Mindfulness exercise - Adriano Kimura, Health & Recreation Section, TAFE NSW
- Building resilience in a time of climate change and a pandemic - Relationships Australia
- The benefits of hoola hooping - Kiri from Northern Beaches and Mosman College
- Music presentation - Relax and unwind with music from local band 'The Standards'
- Zentangle - Niki Lawrence shows how you can relax had have fun by drawing structured patterns.
- Mindful Yoga & Relaxation Practices - Amara shows some of her chair yoga she teaches in her classes (at Pioneer Clubhouse and Kalori Community Centre).
- Exercise at Pioneer Club - Follow along with Jodee as she takes you through stretching, exercise and some dance moves!
The ’Safe and Sound Webinar Series’ (held in 2020) featured 6 webinars from a range of speakers from local support services and organisations sharing tips and information about key stressors and the services available to help you and the people around you live well.
Watch the webinar recordings:
- What's on men's minds in tough times
- Women living well
- Finding your way to wellness as a young person
- Let's talk living well for LGBTIQA+ communities
- Supporting young people to stay mentally well
- Helping older people stay connected