Northern Beaches Council invites expressions of interest (EOIs) from not-for-profit (NFP) organisations or community groups interested in delivering programs and services from within the centrally located Avalon Recreation Centre, 59 Old Barrenjoey Road, Avalon Beach.
Submissions will assist Council to determine how to best utilise this space to deliver positive outcomes for the community. Submissions will be considered for exclusive use or where possible compatible shared use of the space.
Community space description
This large and vibrant space sits within Avalon Recreation Centre and would be suitable for a variety of community uses that help benefit the health and wellbeing of the local community.
Approximately 76 square metres (sqm) of space will be available for groups and organisations to offer services and programs to the community.
The fully accessible community space will have exclusive use of:
• a large room of 45sqm
• an additional work space of 24sqm, and
• a smaller office of 7sqm
There is a shared kitchenette and accessible bathroom amenities located via a corridor at the rear of the space.
Organisations are invited to submit an ‘Expression of Interest’ (EOI) to license the space from early in 2024 for up to five-years.
Minor modifications to the space may be necessary depending on the successful applicants’ requirements for the space.
Fees and charges
The licence fee will be determined by consideration of an appropriate community subsidy of up to 80% off market rental cost. The subsidy will be calculated on the assessment of the application, weighting of the community benefit offered, and benchmarked to other current hire and / or exclusive use agreements in Council buildings.
The site will be open for inspection on Wednesday 25 October, 12.30 - 1pm and 5.15 - 5.45pm.
Council’s Community Strategic Plan and use of Community Centres
Northern Beaches Council community facilities provide diverse opportunities for a rich social and cultural life, encouraging good health, social interaction, creativity, and learning.
Council manages and maintains community facilities that are responsive to community priorities, and support community organisations through the provision of facilities at a subsidised rate.
The following goals from Council’s Community Strategic Plan 2040 apply to the use of Council’s community facilities:
- Community and Belonging – Goal 7: Our diverse community is supported to participate in their chosen cultural life.
- Community and Belonging – Goal 8: Our community feels safe and supported.
- Community and Belonging – Goal 9: Our community is inclusive and connected.
- Housing Places and Spaces – Goal 12: Our community has access to spaces that enable healthy and active living and allow for a broad range of creative, sporting, and recreational opportunities to be enjoyed.
Assessments of applications
Applicants will be assessed based on the proposed community activation of the space and community benefit, with the selection criteria as follows:
- Is a registered Not for Profit organisation. Individuals will not be considered.
- Has the required public liability insurance of $20 million
- The organisation is financially sustainable, with annual financial statements provided to Council and audited where required.
- The organisation to provide evidence that it complies with relevant legislation governing its activities, i.e. Working With Children Check (WWCC), Child Safe Organisation Policies etc.
- The organisation has a sound governance and management model, with applicable established policies and procedures for staff, committee members and volunteers.
- The organisation has a constitution or charter that confirms the organisation’s commitment to either the cultural, social and/or recreational wellbeing of the community.
- Can demonstrate that the space will be used appropriately and at least five days per week (joint submissions for shared use and benefit will be considered).
Community Benefit Criteria:
- Use of the facility will increase health and well-being of the Northern Beaches community.
- Projected hours and days of operation.
- Participant and/or membership numbers.
- The proposed service or program of activities to address identified cultural, social, recreational or other need in the community.
- Provide demonstrated evidence that the proposed use can meet the goals of Council’s Community Strategic Plan and Better Together 2040 Social Sustainability Strategy.
- Expression of Interest open for submission for 28 days from 19 October – 15 November 2023
- Assessment of applications against the selection criteria
- Council approves the successful applicant
- Use of space to commence early in 2024
Submit your booking enquiry
Before you apply, please read through our Community Centre General Terms & Conditions.
For further enquiries please contact Council’s Community Centres Manager Caroline Gibbs on (02) 8495 6581